Long story short, I just spent a few hours altering the spam/comment systems a bit. It seems my previous anti-spam solutions were actually preventing any comments from reaching me, even as false positives for spam. They were being blocked outright. Not what I wanted at all.
I’ve re-adjusted things a couple of ways, and right now things should work better, but I won’t know for sure until a few comments start popping up. I’m expecting a deluge of spam, so we’ll see if the system filters it out ok very soon. Because of this expected Spam onslaught, I’ve got things dialed in the more paranoid side, but I hope to be able to loosen them up a bit once I see how the spam is filtered.
Or I may need to readjust all my plugins and settings, again.